Shrine erected to console the spirits of those who died in the Meiji Restoration
This shrine was completed in 1865 as the first Shokonjo shrine established on the initiative of Takasugi Shinsaku to console the spirits of those who died in battles related to the Meiji Restoration. The shrine is dedicated to about 400 people, including the great philosopher Yoshida Shoin, without discrimination based on status. This place was used as a training ground for the Kiheitai, a militia founded by Takasugi. The name Sakurayama (lit. "cherry mountain") originated from cherry trees planted here. On the first Sunday of April every year, the Spring Grand Festival (Cherry Festival) is held.
|Address||2-6-22 Kamishinchi-cho, Shimonoseki City|
|Access||Approx. 5 min. on foot from Sanden Transportation Kosei-byoin-mae bus stop|