This temple has provided a major venue for many historical events, and is currently one of the most famous places for flower viewing in Chofu
Built by Mori Tsunamoto, the third lord of the Chofu Domain, this temple was one of the Mori family's guardian temples. It is believed that the temple stands on the place where ancient coins were cast. In 1863, the Kiheitai (Irregular Militia) established its headquarters here, to protect high-ranking court nobles who followed the doctrine of restoring the emperor and expelling the barbarians. In the precincts are the graves of the Chofu Mori family, and bronze statues of Kano Hogai, the father of modern Japanese painting, and Nogi Maresuke, a distinguished army officer in the Meiji era. Ume plum blossoms in spring and colored leaves in fall fascinate visitors.
|Address||3-3-8 Chofu-Anyoji, Shimonoseki City|
|Access||Approx. 15 min. on foot from Sanden Transportation Jokamachi Chofu bus stop|