Former Osaka Shosen
A symbol of active overseas exchanges, which served as a base connecting the Port of Moji with the rest of the world
This is a restoration of the Moji Branch building, constructed in 1917, of the former Osaka Shosen, a shipping company.
This building was used as a base of shipping from the Port of Moji, from which about 60 cruise ships departed each month for Taiwan, China, Europe and other places.
The building catches our eye with orange-colored tiles on the outer walls and the beautiful octagonal tower.
Its first floor currently houses a gallery of works by the Kitakyushu-born illustrator Watase Seizo and the Mojiko Design House, a craft shop dealing with works by Kitakyushu-based artists, as well as a cafe.
|Address||7-18 Minatomachi, Moji-ku, Kitakyushu|
|Access||Approx. 3 min. on foot from JR Mojiko Station|
|Tel||093-321-4151 (Mojiko Retro General Information)|
|Website||http://www.mojiko.info/3kanko/spot_osaka.html (in Japanese)|
|Hours||9 a.m. to 5 p.m.|
*Fees charged only for the Watase Seizo Gallery (adults - 150 yen; elementary and junior high school students - 70 yen)